Watercress is an important crop to consider growing as a protected crop. A relatively easy crop to grow that provides a high value return and producing a crop with important health benefits.
Two main systems in Wales
- In the soil under cover, primarily polytunnels – Winter season
- Hydroponically – Summer season
This network provides:
- For existing growers or new growers to grow watercress or increase the production of watercress
- To create a Welsh brand for watercress promoting the quality of Welsh produce and the health benefits.
- Currently capital grants available
Training and Support
- Network growing guidelines.
- Technical Advice
- Marketing and Selling advice and support.
In the UK there are established growers growing watercress in running water; however we are not looking in Wales to replicate this but we could investigate the possibilities of study visits.